Now you’ll install the Arduino IDE and a USB COM port driver for the LinkIt ONE development board.
- Install Arduino IDE.
- Install USB COM Port Driver for LinkIt ONE development board for Mac.
- Install LinkIt ONE SDK
Step 1 — Install Arduino IDE
If you’ve already installed Arduino IDE 1.6.6 for Mac OS X, you can skip this step. If you don’t have Arduino installed:
- Download Java SE Runtime Environment 7 and install it.
- Install the Arduino IDE by running the installer you downloaded in the first activity to the /Applications folder, so that the Arduino installation path is /Applications/Arduino.app.
Step 2 — Install a USB Driver
If you’re using a LinkIt ONE development board on Mac OS X 10.10, then a USB driver is required to enable connectivity with and firmware updates on the LinkIt ONE development board. The OS X 10.10 built-in generic CDC ACM USB driver is not compatible with the ports available on the LinkIt ONE development board. The steps to install a custom driver to enable the BROM port for Firmware Updater are as follows:
- Extract the content of the zip file downloaded in the first activity (mediatek_linkit_os-x-com-port-driver.zip).
- Run the installation package (BMCDCACM_Driver_v115.44.0.mpkg) and click Next to install it.
- Wait until driver installation has finished, then restart your Mac.
BROM USB driver installation is now complete and you’ve access to the MTK USB Serial ports.
While running the BROM USB driver installation package you may encounter a problem, as shown below.
To resolve this issue right click on the software package and select Open from the menu. Follow the instructions on the screen to successfully install the software.
Step 3 — Install LinkIt ONE SDK with Arduino Board Manager
Arduino IDE versions 1.6.4 and up support third party board integration using Board Manager tool. LinkIt ONE development board is a plug-in to Arduino IDE and you’ll learn how to install the LinkIt ONE SDK.
- In the Arduino IDE, on the File menu click Preferences.
- In Additional Boards Manager URLs enter
http://download.labs.mediatek.com/package_mtk_linkit_index.json, as shown below.
- Make sure your computer is connected to the internet.
- In the Arduino Tools menu point to Board then click Boards Manager.
Arduino now downloads the additional Boards Manager details (the .json file), which may take a few seconds.
If a download error, such as "Error downloading http://download.labs.mediatek.com/package_mtk_linkit_index.json" occurs, it can be fixed by removing the cached .json file.
The location of the cached .json file is the same as the location of the preferences.txt file. To find the location, on the File menu click Preferences, and check the path detailed under More preferences can be edited directly in the file.
- LinkIt ONE by Seeed Studios and MediaTek Labs is now displayed in Boards Manager. Select the latest LinkIt ONE SDK version and click Install.
- When installation completes version n.n.nn INSTALLED is appended to the tool’s name, as shown below.
If there is a problem with the LinkIt ONE SDK installation, such as "Error downloading http://download.labs.mediatek.com/package_mtk_linkit_index.json", try installing Arduino SAM board package first, then retry LinkIt ONE SDK installation.
You now have the LinkIt ONE SDK installed on Arduino IDE.