This section describes how to build the bootloader for LinkIt Smart 7688 and LinkIt Smart 7688 Duo development boards from source codes.
The following operations are performed under a Ubuntu LTS 14.04.3 environment. For a Windows or a Mac OS X host computer, you can install a virtual machine to have the same environment:
- Download Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS image from http://www.ubuntu.com.
- Install this image with VirtualBox (http://virtualbox.org) on the host machine. 50GB disk space reserved for the virtual machine is recommended.
In the Ubuntu system, open the Terminal application and enter the following commands:
- Refer to Step 1 of the firmware building process for installing all prerequisite packages.
- Download the bootloader source codes:
$ git clone https://github.com/MediaTek-Labs/linkit-smart-uboot.git
- Change to the source folder:
$ cd linkit-smart-uboot
- Install the toolchain to build the bootloader:
$ sudo tar xjf buildroot-gcc342.tar.bz2 -C /opt/
- Since the toolchain is provided in 32-bit executables, you need to install additional packages for execution on a 64-bit machine:
$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386
- Start the compilation process:
- The resulted bootloader file is uboot.bin.
- You can rename it to lks7688.ldr to update the system bootloader through a USB drive.